10.08.2012

What is Bronco Mendenhall doing?

Let me first say, Bronco Mendenhall is doing an amazing job with the defense. They haven't allowed a TD in 15 quarters?  They have held 13 or 14 straight opponents under 300 yards of total offense. Just staggering. The defense could not be playing better.


On the flip side, the decisions that have been made on the offensive/special teams side have been atrocious. Now, who is making the decisions that I have a problem with, is it Brandon Doman or Bronco? I don't know. Let me just review a few.

1. The two-point conversion attempt at Boise State. If our center could have blocked his man, this might not be a talking point. However, based on how well his defense was doing, I don't know how he could not trust them to win. Or maybe he just had no faith in his kicking game - and why should he I guess.

2. The false starts against Utah. How many? Nine? Ten? Whatever it was, is that the coaches fault?

3. The personal fouls. Every year BYU makes so many undisciplined, bone-headed, emotionally charged stupid personal fouls. I've heard that Bronco likes them to play aggressive, and that's fine. But, is there not a way to tone down the aggression and play with some smarts?

4. The fake field goal against Utah State. Two reason I hate the call. One, just look at what happened. Two, now the field goal unit realizes you have zero confidence in them to make a 25-yard field goal. Wasn't Justin Sorensen supposed to be the kicker of all kickers. I remember hearing stories of him nailing 70-yarders in practice. Maybe he should have been practicing the 30-yarders instead.

5. Running Taysom Hill with two minutes left. The game was over, get into victory formation and end it. Instead, they kept running Hill and he injures his knee on his last running play. Now he is out for the year, rumor has it. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Basically, if I WOULD do these things while playing Madden, it is not something a Division 1-A coach should be doing, and I've done all of these.




No comments: